The Kernel of Truth

Sunday 6 November 2016



You can find over a hundred articles on this. Don’t trust me? Google it. Now. I won’t even be offended if you had to stop reading my blog to do that.

Assuming you did Google and found yourself going down the Internet rabbit hole of blogs,

Image by Jenny Dean

Welcome back, rude child. 

As much as I want to talk about the different types of oils available in the market, I just want to focus on one that I have been true to for months now. This girl is loyal~

Apricot Kernel Oil (Prunus Armeniaca)

Whether you have oily skin, dry skin or even combination skin, incorporating apricot kernel oil into your beauty regimen is the best thing you can do for yourself. I'm going to make another outrageous claim and say that this oil has changed the way I look at skincare. I am now one of those annoying chicks who read the ingredients list and pretend like she knows what half of those things are on that list. But what I  did learn from being a pretentious prick is that the shorter the list, the better!

That is why I'm crazy about apricot kernel oil for my skin! There's literally just two ingredients in this OCM blend.

Apricot kernel oil
Castor oil

While olive oil is a superb carrier oil for your OCM blend, I have noticed that it's a tad too oily for the skin around my eyes. My eyes feel heavy after using this oil in the morning and that wouldn't have been a problem if women continued to play dumb and were seen as too ditzy to work but that's not the case now is it... No thanks to Betty Friedan and Sheryl Sandberg...

(I love you Ali Wong! If you guys don't get the reference, WATCH THIS RIGHT NOW: Ali Wong)

Okay, I digressed a little there. What's new haha :D

The difference between olive oil and apricot kernel oil is that the latter is lighter in consistency and is gentle enough for sensitive skin. I’m not sure if I came up with this saying but when in doubt, choose products that are made for sensitive skin.

I would like to think that I’m making sense here but just in case I’m not, here’s some "Wiwin-logic":

What causes irritation?

Men. Lol I’m kidding (not really).

Alcohol, fragrance, ammonium/sodium lauryl sulphate and the list can go on until tomorrow. These are the ingredients you’re most likely to find in products. When your skin is irritated, your skin is thrown off balance making it susceptible to acne, dryness and oiliness.

Sensitive skin-friendly products usually don’t have these ingredients in them (or at least they have them in low amounts).

Less harsh ingredients = Less irritation = Less skin problems

In other words, don't piss your skin off.

Therefore, you’ll save yourself a lot of trouble (and money) by just getting products made for sensitive skin! 

*end of Wiwin-logic*

Another plus point for this oil is that it is known for its ability to penetrate the skin without leaving an oily residue. So for my oily chickpeas out there, this oil won’t leave your face looking like a greasy hummus! Instead, you'll notice after 3 to 4 weeks of doing the OCM and also using this as a moisturizer that your skin has finally learned how to produce the right amount of oil for your cute lil face. 

Jam-packed with good vitamins such as vitamins A, C and E, this oil will keep your skin looking young and healthy. Almost like a youth elixir! I know this may sound annoying especially coming from a 23-year-old. But I do want to mention that once you get wrinkles, no product on this planet will make it go away. Unless your down with getting botox, then this does not apply to you. Assuming that I won't be making a lot of money for myself in the future to get botox, I'm just going to keep on slapping this oil on my face to prevent wrinkles and all those old people skin stuff.

Your face is forever and there is nothing glamorous about subjecting the world to a dull you. It's not too late to turn things around and start caring for your skin because

"Beautiful skin requires commitment, not a miracle."
- Erno Laszlo

And before anyone bashes me, Betty Friedan and Sheryl Sandberg are amazing women and I highly recommend you read their books if you're feeling stuck:

1) Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan
2) Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg

Till next time!

Much love! 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment